If you own a business, employment practices liability insurance (EPLI) is something you should have. According to the Insurance Information Institute, an increasing number of employers are being sued by their employees.
EPLI provides protection against many kinds of employee lawsuits, including claims of:
- Sexual harassment
- Wrongful termination
- Breach of employment contract
- Negligent evaluation
- Failure to employ or promote
- Wrongful discipline
- Deprivation of career opportunity
- Wrongful infliction of emotional distress
- Mismanagement of employee benefit plans
Jones Insurance can help protect your Thibodaux, Houma, Raceland, or surrounding areas of South Louisiana business, covering legal fees in the event that an employee sues the company. While EPLI does not cover civil or criminal fines or punitive damages, it does cover defense for lawsuits, judgments, and settlements, whether or not your business wins the suit. The cost of employment practices liability insurance is calculated based on a few different factors, mainly, how many employees your business has, the type of business, and risk factors for your business.
While you will feel safer knowing you have the protection of Jones Insurance, there are ways you can help to prevent employee lawsuits. Educate your managers and employees so that you minimize problems in the first place:
- Create effective hiring and screening programs to avoid discrimination in hiring.
- Post corporate policies throughout the workplace and place them in employee handbooks so policies are clear to everyone.
- Show employees what steps to take if they are the object of sexual harassment or discrimination by a supervisor. Make sure supervisors know where the company stands on what behaviors are not permissible.
- Document everything that occurs and the steps your company is taking to prevent and solve employee disputes.
For further information on EPLI or to get a quote, please call or text us or visit our quotes page.