What You Need to Know about Auto Insurance

If you operate a vehicle on public roads, you must have valid auto insurance. Most states have minimum coverage laws that include at least a liability portion. Your typical auto insurance policy also includes comprehensive and collision coverage with additional coverage options, such as roadside assistance. Our insurance agents can help you tailor your auto insurance policy to your needs.

State Law Requires Auto Insurance

According to Louisiana state law, drivers must carry minimum liability auto insurance to operate a motor vehicle. Minimum liability limits include $15,000 for bodily injury to one person, $30,000 for multiple people, and $25,000 of coverage for property damage. Liability insurance doesn’t cover any damage to your vehicle. It only covers repairs or medical expenses for the other parties if you cause an accident. 

Collision Coverage

If you cause an accident involving another vehicle or stationary object, your collision coverage is in place to cover the repairs to your car. You only have to pay the deductible, and insurance will take care of the rest. If the claims adjuster determines that your vehicle is totaled, your insurance will reimburse you for the current value of your vehicle, up to the limits of your policy.

Comprehensive Coverage

Comprehensive coverage covers the cost of repair to your vehicle if you collide with an animal, such as a deer. It also covers damage to your car caused by theft, vandalism, and natural events, such as a windstorm or a branch falling onto your windshield. If you file a claim under comprehensive coverage, you’ll pay your deductible while insurance takes care of the rest.

Liability Coverage

Liability coverage is the only insurance coverage legally required to drive on the roads. This type of coverage protects you from having to pay for damages you caused out of your own pocket. In an accident, your liability coverage will cover the repairs to the other driver’s vehicle and necessary medical expenses if there are any bodily injuries. 

Additional Coverage Options

Not every car insurance policy is the same. We can tailor your auto insurance to meet your specific needs. You may opt for any of these additional coverage items in your policy:

  • Uninsured motorist coverage
  • Roadside assistance
  • Gap insurance
  • Rental car coverage

If you get into an accident with an uninsured motorist, you have to cover the repairs to your vehicle out of your own pocket unless you have uninsured motorist coverage. Uninsured motorist coverage usually has a lower deductible, too. To receive help if you’re stranded on the road, you can add roadside assistance to your auto policy.

If you’re upside down on the loan for your car, gap insurance can ensure you don’t owe money to your lender if your car is totaled in an accident. Finally, if you rely on your vehicle to get to work or school, you might add rental car coverage to your auto insurance policy.

FAQs about Auto Insurance

Do I Need Auto Insurance If I Own My Car?

You won’t need gap insurance if you own your car, but you still want to protect your vehicle with collision coverage in case of an accident. Comprehensive insurance insures your vehicle in case of vandalism or theft. Without adequate auto insurance coverage, you risk paying for repairs out of pocket. At the very least, you must have liability insurance as required by state law.

How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance Premiums?

You can save money on auto insurance premiums by switching from monthly to semi-annual premiums. You can also increase your deductible and adjust your coverage limits. Our insurance agents can help you tailor your insurance policy to meet your needs and help you save money on car insurance premiums. 

What Coverage Is Essential for My Auto Insurance Policy?

You’re legally required to carry liability insurance. However, most policies also include comprehensive and collision coverage to protect you from having to pay out of pocket for repairs.

We Tailor Your Auto Insurance Policy to Meet Your Needs

When was the last time you’ve evaluated your car insurance? Our experienced staff is ready to talk to you about your coverage options and create an affordable policy that works for you. Call us today for your auto insurance quote.